Uncompaghre Mesas Collaborative Forest Restoration Project Photos from 11/30/11
- There is a need within the project area to re-establish vegetation composition, structure, spatial pattern, and ecological processes necessary to make terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems sustainable, resilient, and healthy under current and future conditions.
- There is a need to increase abundance and improve diversity of grasses, forbs, and
shrubs in the forest understory.
- There is a need to provide wood to local timber companies.
- There is a desire to generate revenue to help fund restoration treatments in the project area by harvesting trees before the commercial potential of stands is lost.
- There is a need to maintain or improve habitat for threatened and endangered species, Forest-Service sensitive species, and other game and non-game species.
- There is a need to manage vegetation in a manner that will provide or maintain a
healthy, diverse ecosystem resistant to insects, diseases, and other natural
and human impacts.